FAL 2015 Q1

Rounding up my flurry of finishes!

Wow, back again. I'm not used to blogging so frequently but I am up against it with the finish-along deadline looming!

Here we have another uninspiring washing line shot (less windy today!), this time featuring the log cabin circles quilt.

20150404_180640

 

The quilt is only small, 48" (or 1.2 m) square and the top was made entirely from scraps. I quilted in the ditch along all the seam-lines which has given it a nice texture.

20150404_181550

 

I had intended it to be for the dog, but didn't properly consider the size! As you can see 4 spots would probably have been big enough! The backing is a left over piece of Tula Pink print that I bought for the back of another quilt, I thought the colours worked well with the top which is primarily made from Kaffe Fassett prints.

Pretty happy with this little finish :)


First Siblings Together quilt finished

I, as is often the case, bit off a bit more than I could chew, thinking that I would be able to make two quilts for Siblings Together. The tops were not such a problem, you can see them here, but finding time and space to quilt them both ready for this summer was going to be tricky. So I put out an SOS to the Siblings Together flickr group and two very kind ladies offered to help me out with the quilting.

SAM_2194

I just finished putting the binding on the first one a few days ago. Nathalie quilted it for me on her new long arm machine. She did a beautiful job, the loopy pattern really suits the quilt and gives it a nice cuddly texture.

SAM_2198

Backing and binding!

I used Thomas Knauer's Abecedarian quilt pattern, which is based on the Braille alphabet. I used a motley selection of light and dark background prints plucked from the stash.

It measures in at 56" x 68" so hopefully a good usable size even for a teen.

This is one of my FAL finishes, yippee!!


Feathered Star wallhanging

This has been finished since 22nd of February when I first tried to photograph it for blogging purposes. It was windy, this was probably the best of the bunch:

SAM_2143

I had another go today but it is very windy:

SAM_2183

SAM_2176

Still I think you get the idea!

This was made from a Judy Niemeyer pattern called (funnily enough) Feathered Star. I left out the border as I thought it looked a bit more contemporary without.

This was my first foray into paper piecing, and whilst I like the accuracy and nice pointy points I am not so keen on the resulting multiple seam lines, I find them visually distracting. Also ripping out the papers seemed to take an inordinately long time, and was quite messy.

The fabrics I used were mainly basics and blenders from Makower, Andover and Bernatex purchased locally at the Cheap Shop in Tiptree.  The background is a mystery shot cotton made up of red and royal blue threads which has a lovely depth of colour in person.

When I finished the top (back in June!) I wasn't sure what to do with it next.

SAM_1147


How should I quilt it? Should I quilt it? So it sat around for a while (ahem, 5 months) before I decided to take it to Janette for some custom quilting. I had the beige and cream areas quite densely quilted with a flame-like pattern to divert the eye from the multiple seam lines in these areas.  All the points were echo quilted with either straight lines or gentle curves.

You can perhaps get a better idea of the quilting from this rear view:

SAM_2200Please excuse the disaster area that is my garden!

The quilt measures 60" square and is destined for the living room wall.

This is one of my FAL finishes for quarter one, hooray!


Farmer's Wife Zippy Pouch

I put together this little bag using those four stray Farmer's Wife blocks I mentioned at the end of my FAL post the other day. I needed a way of keeping all my smaller rulers and templates together as they have a natural tendency to distribute themselves randomly throughout my craft stuff and much time can be wasted looking for the one I really need!

SAM_2077

As well as making use of the abandoned blocks, I also used a reclaimed zip and a piece of baby-cord for the backing which was from an old skirt. For the lining I used a piece of cotton chambray left over from pyjamas I made years ago, so altogether a throughly thrifty project!

SAM_2079

It measures about 30cm square and is padded with some fusible fleece to give the rulers a bit of protection. I added a couple of pockets to the inside of the front panel to house the smallest tools and made sure they are easy to find when I need them!


Q1 FAL 2015 - full disclosure...

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

 

So this is my first time linking up with the finish-along which is being hosted this year by Adrianne.

I have decided to jump straight in and list every project that is currently in progress, I might as well be ambitious!

  1. Log Cabin Circles quilt. Needs basting quilting and binding.SAM_2053
  2. Abecedarian quilt. Needs basting quilting and binding. SAM_2012
  3. Acacia quilt. Needs basting quilting and binding (can you see a theme developing here!). SAM_2005
  4. Feathered Star wall-hanging. Currently out having a spot of custom long-arm action, will need a binding or facing treatment (haven't decided which yet) and hanging on its return.SAM_1145
  5. Kingfisher tapestry (for mum). Long way to go on this one! SAM_2062
  6. Caterpillar Stripes jumper. Just started this a few days ago, and am liking the way it looks so far. SAM_2061
  7. do something with yet more stray Farmers Wife blocks which I found when sorting through my scraps for the log cabin quilt pictured above. I have no recollection of making these, but they look quite good in the shot cottons I think, it would be a shame to see them go to waste! SAM_2068

So there we go, I better get cracking!